Saturday, March 1, 2008

Solitude

Ever noticed the difference between solitude and loneliness? You can be with lots of people and be extremely lonely and yet you can be all on your own but not lonely at all. Today I am home alone, but not lonely, in fact I am so very content just being me right now. I decided to stay home today (because I have work to do and a sermon to finish) while the two men in my life decided to go out and do the bush-thing. I did not realize however, not until now, how much I needed time on my own.

Jesus had this habit of withdrawing from the crowd and yes, even from his disciples. Why then is it that I still think that I, a mortal human being, can do without it?

How at peace I am here in my office, over-looking our shady garden where my cat is basking in the sun and my dog is chasing a butterfly. The song of the birds fills the air and the gentle breeze carries the sweet scent of the big old Jacaranda tree with its delicate purple flowers. It feels like I can burst into a Psalm of praise like David of old.

For the first time this week I am not rushing to pick-up, drop-off, to lead or be lead, to keep an appointment or to meet a deadline. For the first time this week I am free to experience the warmth of the Son. For the first time I don’t have to watch the arms if the clock while praying. So I resolve that this year I will make sure that I have regular times like these where I can be alone so that I will not be lonely…

Peace-bug

3 comments:

Eliza D Hunter said...

Hello my Friend,

I so know that feeling!! I hate feeling lonely, but one of my fav, things is to be alone, surrounded by my own deep thoughts about life, spirituality, psychology etc.

I am glad that you could have some "me time" we all need that on a regular basis, it gives strength and understanding in our purpose for life and our calling in our
Fathers kingdom.

I hope that you will find time to just leave your "reality" for a while and just meet "yourself" over a good cup of coffee and great contentness in conversation with God and yourself.

Much love,

C

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

hi
this is a wonderfully contented blog. I am so glad that you have found space for some peace.
Pete

DoringRosie said...

Find dit amazing dat ons so eenders dink! Hoop dit bly amazing en raak nie bedreiging nie.

I'm full of spiritual fuel and I hope I go for a nice long drive on it.

Baie interesant dat jou post se wat myne doen, maar ek kom dit nou eers agter! shocker