Saturday, June 30, 2007

I just wanna be a sheep ...

on of the silly little songs that the youth and children likes to sing is that of "i just wanna be a sheep..." all though this song (like many others in the church) irritates me due to its lack of depth and sound doctrine, it reminds me today of a valuable spiritual truth.

I remember as a child of about five-years-old my friend and i walking home from 'kinderkrans' after a lesson about "Jesus the Good Shepherd. My friend turned to his mother - very confused- and asked: "mom if we are Jesus' sheep, am i supposed to 'baa'?

so often, even in my adult life, i have forgotten what it means to be a sheep of His flock. I forget that it means that i need to keep my eyes focused on Him and my ears trained to follow His voice (and only His). I forget that if i don't i can get myself horribly lost. And when i do get horribly lost, i forget that i need to put my pride aside and allow Him to carry me home. I forget that the simplest way to find direction in life or to make decisions is to follow His lead and to go where He has already been.

And so, feeling a bit sheepish, i sing with the kids: "I just wanna be a sheep..."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

it's true, I myself experience that too. So many times we forget that there is GOD that is watching over us. Many times we dont even recognize it, maybe due to the busy schedule of ours or what not. I guess this is the reason why many people fall out of God's hands because when they encounter a problem for example, they dont let God take control over them because they have a perception that they can handle it themselves. I myself feel that too sometimes.
enjoyy reading your blogs ;)
-God Bless you.

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

Hey sister sheep
we are all prone to wandering away - but fortunately we have a shepherd who comes in search of us.
Peace
PG