Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Noah - faith or works?

last night i was rudely interrupted in a very interesting dream. I dreamt i was talking to someone (whom i cannot remember) who asked me if Noah was saved by faith or through works. i must probably add that the interruption was from my husband who was complaining because i was once again talking in my sleep.

This morning i woke up with this question in my mind. I suppose one can argue that Noah was saved by faith - for Noah trusted in God and therefore did what he was asked to do. On the other hand one could argue that he was saved by works for even if He believed that God was going to send a great big flood, he would still have died if he didn't built the Ark.

However, now that i am a bit more awake it becomes more clear: true faith always goes over into action. As James reminds us: faith without action is dead.

Moreover, i am being short-sighted: salvation is about eternity, yes it impacts on the here and now but it is about much more than our physical bodies and needs.

Perhaps though, we need more Noah-Christians, people who are willing to act on their faith, people who are willing to get their hands dirty...

I pray that God will lead me to be more like Noah in this regard

3 comments:

Mev Dominee said...

I was wondering what all the talk about faith and works was all about.

But yes , eternity is the important bit.

Love you

Eliza D Hunter said...

hi,

Yeah we need to be faithful so that we can hear how God can use us, I have been listening to some of Joyce Meyers things, and she was preaching on religion vs relationship, so yes we need the relationship, to build on our faith in God, and thus it will lead to us doing His will for our life.

God bless, love you lots my friend,

tata ;)

Gus said...

Maybe our contemporary physical needs are more eternal than we like to think...

We do believe in the resurrection of the body.